Negligent Workers Cause 54% of Data Breaches
Cybercrime is the number one threat facing U.S. businesses today. Attacks like ransomware are a constant reality for businesses big and small. Industry experts agree that cybercrime related losses will continue to rise exponentially. No business can afford to be complacent in our always-connected and device filled world. If you’re not convinced about the risks, here are just a few statistics from a recent survey:
- 61% of Small & Medium-sized Businesses experienced a cyber-attack in the last 12 months, up from 55% the previous year and many of the breaches involving the theft of customer and employee information.
- 1 in 5 businesses faced downtime of 25 hours or more following ransomware attacks last year, according to Osterman Research. Many had to shut down their systems for longer than 100 hours. U.S. businesses have more downtime than the global average.
- Most threats are caused by employees. 54% of data breaches are the fault of negligent workers or contractors clicking on suspicious emails and websites, up from 48% last year according to the Ponemon Institute’s 2017 State of Cybersecurity in Small & Medium-sized Businesses.
- $5 billion was the worldwide toll of ransomware attacks in 2017, according to Cybersecurity Ventures estimates – more than 15 times the cost just two years earlier ($325 million). Ransom demands themselves are only a fraction of this cost. More money is lost to downtime, productivity losses, and fines.
- $6 trillion will be the global cost of cybercrime by 2021. The projected rise of organized crime and state-sponsored hacking will make cybercrime more profitable than the global drugs trade, involving the greatest transfer of economic wealth in history.
So what can you do?
Comprehensive Cybersecurity Investigations
After a breach or other incident occurs that affects the security of your company’s data or confidential information, you need trusted cybersecurity professionals to determine precisely what happened, protect the company’s interest, and recommend a clear plan of action for preventing these incidents in the future. Our cybersecurity team at can provide you with the right solutions for addressing these issues quickly and effectively.
Time Is of the Essence
The speed with which you implement your cybersecurity incident response can determine the effectiveness of the investigation. Beyond I.T. provides rapid response times for all your digital forensics or cybersecurity needs. Our priority is to prevent further loss and preserve evidence for the investigation of serious data breaches, theft of intellectual property and other cyber crimes.
The Keys to the Investigation
At Beyond I.T., we take a comprehensive approach to your cybersecurity investigation needs that includes the following activities:
- Installation and maintenance of an event log on your servers to track current and future activity and to spot any intrusions or data anomalies before they become serious threats to your sensitive data;
- Inspection of running processes to determine if the intrusion into your systems is still ongoing;
- Identification of any malware programs residing or running on your corporate servers;
- Isolation and removal of any accounts or files that may be infected and used to allow access to network resources and information on your servers.
At Beyond I.T., we offer the best digital forensic and cybersecurity investigative services to ensure that you receive the right information for your case. Call us today at 713-586-1846 to discuss your needs with us. We look forward to serving all of your digital forensics needs.